About : Aphrodite Delights


The History

Since 1895

The story of Aphrodite Delights began in 1895 when Sophocles Athanasiou returned to his home village of Geroskipou Cyprus after many years of travelling and living overseas. He established the delights industry and his “Loukoumi Geroskipou” soon became a local favourite. Word quickly spread to the rest of the island and people began to travel to the village especially to indulge in these sweets, making Geroskipou synonymous with this fine confectionary.

Sophocles retired in 1920 and left a fully operational factory to his son in law, Gabriel Hadjizinoviou, who continued using the original recipe. In 1925 he was invited to take part in the British Empire Exhibition at the newly-built Wembley Stadium (then Empire Stadium) where he was awarded a certificate in recognition of his products.

Indeed, the company’s original packaging bore the royal symbol of the lion for many years. In 1969, as Cyprus gained its independence, he succeeded in being one of the very first Cypriots to register his company, and the enterprise and its products became known as “Aphrodite Geroskipou Delights”.

In 1964, the company was passed on to Gabriel’s son, Nicodemos Gabriel, who had many new ideas for the modernization of the traditional small factory. He and his wife Evdokia successfully managed to make Aphrodite Delights known all over the world and were soon exporting to the far reaches of the globe.

For four generations, Aphrodite Delights was housed in the very same location that was used by Sophocles. His great grand-son, George Gabriel, has been at the helm since 1994, which grew the business by moving to a new purpose built factory in Geroskipou where production continues following the food safety system ISO 22000.

The company has received many accolades over the recent years such as Best Cypriot product, best small-medium Cypriot enterprise, and has also participated in many research and development programs in collaboration with universities and other organizations.


Geroskipou is situated in the District of Pafos, it extents to an area of 12sq km and it has a population of more than seven thousand people. The Geroskipou Municipality was founded in 1994 and it has been developing rapidly ever since.

The traditional centre of Geroskipou is located about four km east from the city of Pafos. Geroskipou has an excellent road network since one can find the motorway connecting Pafos with the other Cypriot cities in the North limits of Geroskipou whereas only 10 km away from Geroskipou there is International Airport of Pafos.

During antiquity Geroskipou was a part of the broader space of adoring Pafian Aphrodite, as an extension of the Goddess great temple in Palepafos.The renown «Wholly Gardens » were located in this area , a name preserved until today in the name of Geroskipou (Ierokipia). According to the ancient Greek geographer Strabo , the procession of believers passed from these gardens in their destination to Palepafos, with the opportunity of holding the Aphrodisia, the annual festivity in honour of the Goddess.

The greatest monument is the Byzantine temple of Agia Paraskevi (9th century), an arched three –aisled basilica that is roofed by five domes. The murals that decorate the interior of the church are part of the most important Byzantine wall paintings of Cyprus. What is also of significant importance is a sculpted sanctuary of Apollo Ylates, unique in its kind in Cyprus that is dated at least from the 5th century B.C. The monumental House of Hadjismith that is an exquisite specimen of traditional architecture, houses since 1978 the Folk Art Museum. In the house there are exhibitions of a great collection of items relating to the everyday life, various activities, professions, as well as various expressions of folk art in 19th century and early 20th century Cyprus.